- In the 19th century, one 'Sidney Webb' was educated at Birkbeck College.
- Birkbeck's motto is 'In nocte consilium', Study by Night.
- Sidney and his wife Beatrice set up the Fabian Society in 1884.
- In 1895, they created the London School of Economics (via a donation to the Fabian society).
- Not content with founding two great intellectual institutions that continue to this day.. in 1913 they started the magazine the New Statesman.
- They were closely involved with the Co-operative movement.
- Famous co-ops: Lurpak butter, Best Western hotels, Brittany Ferries, Ocean Spray cranberry juice.
Monday, May 07, 2007
Sidney and Beatrice Webb
London and political history connections: