Tuesday, January 20, 2009

MPs should publish their full expenses

Dear Frank Dobson,

I am writing to urge you to vote against the draft Freedom of Information (Parliament) Order 2009 this Thursday. Additionally, please sign Jo Swinson’s Early Day Motion number 492.

I want Parliament to be more open, not less: this motion is in the wrong direction. I note that addresses of MPs will not be published (SI 2008/1967).

Public servants must account for their expenses: all of them. I work in the private sector and have to provide a receipt whether its 50p or £50. That information is made available to the person paying for it. The same principle applies; I strongly feel that this 'balance' being introduced (or rather not prevented from being introduced) into our democracy will lead to greater responsibility with taxpayers' money.

I don't doubt your personal integrity on this matter Mr. Dobson, but there are clear signs that others in that chamber make questionable decisions on spending. That information should be available so the public can judge it for themselves.

I will be tracking your and other MPs votes via TheyWorkForYou and will perceive a vote for this motion or an abstention as a vote against transparency, which will contribute to my voting decision at the next election.

Yours sincerely,

Pharkie

No comments: